Keeping the hydro-energy ﬂowingGrande Dixence reservoir and dam in Switzerland
/ THE GRANDE DIXENCE HYDROELECTRIC POWER STATION IN SWITZERLAND GENERATES ENOUGH KILOWATT HOURS OF ELECTRICITY TO MEET THE AVERAGE ANNUAL CONSUMPTION OF 400,000 HOUSEHOLDS. MAAGTECHNIC AG – AN ERIKS COMPANY – HAS PLAYED ITS PART IN ENSURING THE POWER STAYS ON.
Taking eleven years to build, the Grande Dixence dam and power station was finally commissioned in 1961. So when Maagtechnic AG was called in, the lubrication systems for the shaft bearings of the 17MW storage pump assembly were over 50 years old. Briefed to develop replacements, Maagtechnic faced the challenge of designing systems which would not only cope with the environmental conditions at 2,365m above sea level, but which also matched the mass and function of the old systems. And since a failure of the lubricant supply could result in a total machinery standstill, 100% reliability was essential.
A total of three Maagtechnic AG lubrication power packs were commissioned over a period of two years. The first of the innovative lubrication units has an oil flow rate of 220 litres per minute, and the other two a rate of 180 litres per minute. The systems are fed by a corrosion-resistant oil tank with a volume of 1,000 litres.
100% reliability was essential
With the updated lubrication systems now in place, the four turbines of the plant can continue to provide a quantity of hydro-electric energy equivalent to the output of a nuclear power plant – hopefully for at least another 50 years.
- ERIKS Annual Sustainability Report 2016 available now
- Consistency to global procurement
- A total cost of ownership approach to sustainability
- ERIKS wins the 60M race
- Around the world in 80 days – fuel free
- All-round improvement in steam trapping stations
- Working together for safe drinking water
- Sharing hydraulic safety knowledge
- Coffee, Tea or Safety?
- Partnership with Purpose
- On an emissions mission
- Safe Hands
- Boiler room efficiency
- Targeting compressed air
- Reducing Methane Emissions
- ERIKS top 10 tips for energy saving
- Sustainable cost savings at dairy factory
- ERIKS' Energy savings solutions meet Government policies
- Reducing waste with the swipe of a wipe